Sunday, April 19, 2009

The "I SUCK" program of improvement.

I’ve come to the horrible realization that I SUCK at a lot of things to include, but not limited too: squatting with heavy weights, L-sit pull-ups, agility (I’m at least as clumsy our lovable Wabbitt), handstand push-ups, chest to the bar pull-ups, running (both short and long distances), deadlifting heavy weights, jumping ( it’s a toss up whether I suck more at jumping for height or distance) and flexibility, so that being said and this possibly being the longest sentence in history, I am going to venture into some uncharted waters over the next couple of months. You are more than welcome to join me, but be forewarned there will be many weird and unusual workouts in the months ahead. The results will probably resemble one of three things: I’ll be capable of doing cheetah flips and deadlifting volkswagons, or I’ll be seriously under-recovered and slip into a catatonic state, or the most likely case will find me a little bit older, with an even worse case of not giving a rats ass that I’m not as strong and fast as I use to be.

Things you can expect to see in the coming months: lots of dot drills, double unders galore, lots of squatting, power cleaning, deadlifting, shoulder pressing, L-sit pulluping (not sure if that’s a word), box jumping from all kinds of crazy heights, vertical and horizontal jumping, running, stretching and heavy Olympic lifting complexes. My suspicion is that if I SUCK at these things, then you probably SUCK at them too. I’m sure someone out there wants to know what to eat or at least say they want to know what to eat. I think most people know that they shouldn’t eat processed stuff like rice, cereals, and breads. The problem is having the discipline to not eat them, and I’m afraid that’s something I can’t provide, but I will offer heckling and calling you a shiftless fat-ass if you think it will help. So without further ado I give you the first day of the “I SUCK” program.

20 April 09
Monday

Warm-up
Dot Drill (reference link on right hand side of page)
30 Double unders
Box Squats up to working sets

WOD
Box Squats (height of box should put the crease of your hip about one inch below the knee)
3 x 3 (2-3 minutes rest between sets, progress with each set, last set do 3 or as many as possible, but know more than 10)
For the box squat you will normally use about 50% of your back squat max, for more information regarding the Box squat follow this link: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/squatting_from_head_to_toe
Shoulder Press
3 x 3 (2-3 minutes rest between sets, progress with each set, last set do 3 or more)

Rest 3 minutes

For time:
4 Rounds
400 meter run
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Air squats

Flexibility
Finish with 10 minutes stretching (reference link on right hand side of page)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow....i'm the first! Im sure that is because our extremely wordy friend Hound sold out this morning and our extrremely sassy and quick witted friend wabbit also slept in! :)
Well, i dont suck at all of those things...so maybe the next few weeks/months won't suck so bad for me...but i definately suck at some of them. Bring on the running...it makes me feel good about myself. I did 125# squat and a meager 55# shoulder press...obviously need some work there. And then i completed the WOD in the torrential rain again in 15:14 RX'd. Not too happy with it, but room for improvement
linds

Thomas said...

Mike -
I was gonna right you an email, but the post was so great I had to comment! Awesome idea on the "I Suck Program".
I tell you what -- that Friday WOD sucked! I finished the WOD in 1:52 and I was lying on the ground breathing sweat bubbles and Katie decided it would be fun to screw with fatty me, and told me I had 2 seconds before I had to start the run!! I ran out the door and did the mile in 7:01 the whole time thinking "that was the shortest 1:30 I had ever experienced". Kate was cackling as I came back in as she had only let me rest 60 secs. I smiled as I drowned in my exertion!
I got with the Hound last week about nutrition. He is still a gronola eating hound, so we are going to break him of that. His protein quotient was woefully lacking. But a little whole milk and paleo and I think he will start busting through some plateaus. (Hound you owe me an email this week!)
Mike, did you read this blog entry:
http://byerscrossfit.blogspot.com/2009/03/got-pull-up.html
Found it off of CF Wilmington. Can we include a little dead hanging pull up action in our new program, cause I just realized how much I suck at them. I couldn't knock out 5 sets of 10!!!! Plus it is a good strength builder and shoulder stabilizer.
By the way Cindy has a Coach G story for you!!!

Gala said...

1st day back from my San Antonio vaca & I smoked the latter part of this WOD!Makes me feel so much better about my pining for CF for 4days!
75#BS
65#SP
12:59 RX'd

Unknown said...

Ha! I suck at walking! Can't get much worse than that...but bring on the stretching (I will crush Hound, and Paul, and GNC!), and anything that lets me hang upside down or climb things like a monkey. I'm still on major exercise restriction (no running or jumping or doing much of anything interesting or fun), but I'm going to try to make it in Wednesday, anyway. See everyone then! And good job Linds and Gala--way to battle the weather this morning!

Wabbitt

GinaW said...

Thank you, Cindy for the great tip on the box squat! It helped me reach my new max #160 x3.

I also appreciate you & Dan advising me on pull ups. Very helpful! :)

Rebecca, I hope you heal quickly. You are definitely missed!

Anonymous said...

Thomas sorry, I think I need to sit in on Hayley's kindergarten math class. I SUCK (ha ha) at Math. SO much so I think I am losing strength because I can't do my normal push press weight and then you and your fiance cackling at the ten extra pounds on it. I wasn't the only one picking on you. Did you tell anyone about the #225 thurster you had to do because of Cindy. The poor veins in your neck.
See you again soon, Katie

Anonymous said...

Day One of "I Suck"
Box Squat 205 x 5
Press 115 x 5
WOD 22:26
Thomas glad you liked the post and I think you will find some dead hangs in the near future. Let me know if you SUCK at anything else and I'll see what I can do. BTW awesome time on that Friday WOD, I beat you on the mile, but I was smart enough to keep my own time.
--My current status on the I SUCK progam of improvement. I stil SUCK.MP