Thursday, March 26, 2009

27 March 09

Everyday she lies trapped in a bed with a body that no longer functions and a mind that is at best sporadically conscious. An old man comes and visits her daily to feed her and ensure she’s being cared for in the respectful manner she deserves. He has loved her for more than fifty-five years now and his devotion to her has never wavered. Most folks would say she would be better off dead, but they do not witness the daily display of character and virtue portrayed by this old man and old woman. They live each day as if it’s the last, not in the grandiose fashion of going skydiving or some grand adventure, but rather they live it as the best human beings they can be right now. They realized long ago that everything and everyone will soon be forgotten and the greatest contribution they can make to the human race was to live a life of moderation, of courage to always do the right thing, of patience to deal with the hand that fate has dealt them, and above all else, service to their fellow human beings. Their reputation, status, careers, and wealth have never been their primary concern. They live each day like a rock unmoved by the crashing waves or calm waters, their character is always the same, above reproach. I seldom write more than the daily WOD on this blog, but today’s request for a birthday WOD triggered some thoughts that I thought a 21 year old ought to hear. People do CF for all kinds of reasons, but for me CF has always been an inward odyssey. I don’t train because I’m obsessed about being the most fit man on earth or because it enables me to do my job or for some narcissistic reason like “six pack” abs. I train for character; every WOD gives me the opportunity to test myself in doing what’s right under less than ideal conditions. Hopefully one day it will be as well developed as the old couple mentioned above and they can without shame still claim me as a son.

So for the readers of this blog I have a request. Let’s give Keith something to remember. Monday’s WOD will involve 21 movements and each reader can select 1 movement. Post the movement you would like to do under today’s post. We will execute the movements in the order I receive them. The last request will be taken at 3 pm Sunday. If I don’t receive 21 requests, I’ll just consult SATAN to fill out the rest.

The WOD will be titled the “Moneymaker Challenge” and Keith if you beat my time I’ll buy you a ECCF T-shirt. I figure like Toby Keith, “I might not be as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was.” Good luck brother, and when someone tells you the best is yet to come, tell them to shut the f&*k up, the best always has been and always will be Right Now.

Now back to our regular programming.
27 March 09
Friday
WOD
Descending from 10 to 1 perform the following for time:
Kbell Snatch Right
Kbell Snatch Left
Burpees

Check this video out for the Kbell snatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ubc4uJdyB8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcrossfitkitchener%2Ecom%2F&feature=player_embedded

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tire flips

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hang Cleans

Great Post

Cheers-JD

Anonymous said...

Awesome Post Programmer-

I humbly suggest Muscle-ups (surprise surprise) to be incorporated into Keith's birthday WOD. While I originally was going to suggest heavy deadlifts, I noticed someone already put up tire flips and I figured we would make him use the new giant evil tire that I donated, so I went with my second favorite movement, the muscle-up. Happy 21st Keith!

-GNC

Liz said...

Well,

Since GNC is getting his favorite two movements into Monday's WOD lets go ahead and add his third one. 800m run sounds perfect. This should be interesting Mike. later

Anonymous said...

Dumbell push press W(35)M(55)
This is gonna be a fun one!
Thanks Katie

Anonymous said...

Burpee pull ups

East Coast CrossFit said...

Push-Press

East Coast CrossFit said...

Katie already said PP, so I am going to have to change mine to backwards wallball

Anonymous said...

HSPU, and btw Moneymaker did get his first Muscle-up recently. Congrats to him!
Randy

Anonymous said...

what the hell is wrong with you guys? :) cindy....i don't even know what a backwards wall ball is but it sounds awful i am going with GHD sit ups. i love em!!!!
linds

Andrea said...

how about deadlifts?

Anonymous said...

how about squat thrusters? or weighted push ups?

Anonymous said...

Double unders in honor of Buddy Lee. Keith you are are going to have Birthday that you will remember!!! I think we will all remmember it:)
Angela

Anonymous said...

Sumo deadlift high pull
Frank

Anonymous said...

slamballs

Anonymous said...

keg lunges

Anonymous said...

knees to elbows

Anonymous said...

Whoever put keg lunges, please describe how to do them and how much the keg must weigh. I think ECCF has kegs, but if they don't what is the substitute?MP

Anonymous said...

turkish get-ups