Sunday, November 22, 2009

23 November 09
Monday
I normally don't post everything I do because it's just to damn tedious and I tend wing things once I hit the gym. But over the next 5 weeks I'll post everything from warm-ups to stretching. If you have questions about something, just drop me a line in the comments for that day.
Warm-up
3 rounds
15 overhead squats with PVC pipe
10 pull-ups
25 push-ups
25 sit-ups
10 back extensions
I take my time and work on technique for these movements.

Strength Work
Back squat
3 x 5
The goal is a PR for 5 reps, the first two sets are prep sets for the PR set. Recommend you start with a weight you are confident that you can get for 5 reps and add five pounds next week.

WOD 1
As many rounds as possible in 10 minutes:
5 x Pull-ups
10 x Push-ups
15 x Air Squats
Use a 20 pound vest for the entire workout.

Rest 3 minutes
Practice L-sit holds

WOD 2
If possible do this WOD 2 to 3 hours after WOD 1 or at the end of the day.
Warm-up
800 meter jog
3 x 100 stride outs

6 x 200 meter run (rest 45 seconds between each run)

Finish with 1o minutes of stretching.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are stride outs?
Kate

Anonymous said...

Stride outs are sprints @ 80 to 90% of max effort. The focus should be technique and warming the legs up for the wod. That's my definition, but CFE may have a better explanation. MP

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I like your new format...I could use some inspiration on the warm-ups. I seem to be on a plateau.
As far as the workouts...I've been having sore wrists lately with the heavy overhead weights. Do you think it could be a warming up issue? I don't have the luxury of using a "womens" bar here. The gym only has the fat 45# bars, which I've noticed are more difficult for me to actual hold onto especially during heavy deadlifts, and overhead squats. But I just figured it would only improve my grip... any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Jenn,
Glad you like the new format. Not sure what to tell you about the wrist. It could be over training, but I suspect it may be a combination of technique and the fat bar. Bring your hands in about two to three inches in the overhead squat position, if you have the shoulder flexibility. You may just want to lighten the load some and gradually over the next month increase your poundage in the WODs. I do think Hound has a valid point with a deload week, where you scale all the WODs by 1/2. I kind of rambled here so let me sum it up. 1st week deload all the WODs by 1/2 and ice the wrist. 2nd week is back to regular WODs but drop the weights by 20 pounds when going overhead. 3rd Week if the wrist are feeling better, attempt half the WODs as rx'd. By fourth week you should be back to normal. Make sure you do some warm-up and gentle stretching of the wrist before all the WODs. Hope this helps and keep me updated.MP

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advice. No problem taking it easy... I have finals all week.

Jenn

Anonymous said...

WOD 8 Rounds with 12# vest
Jenn