Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Commandments


Yesterday’s blog post discussed commitment devices and how to use them for getting things done and for creating habits.  Today, I’ll discuss some ways commitment devices and ‘go to hell’ rules can be used for diet.  The premise is fairly simple, but the challenge for most people lies in the execution of the premise.

Simple doesn't mean Easy  
 Several years ago I decided to help a friend of mine stick to a diet and I agreed to follow whatever rules we put forth.  Are rules were fairly straightforward: 
1. Eat only meat, vegetables, fruits and nuts
2. Fast a minimum of 19 hours every day
3. Sleep at least 6 hours
4. Weigh yourself every day:  This step of course violates everything the experts say, but I view that as more of motivator than a deterrent (my little wife will attest to the fact that nothing gives me greater pleasure than acts of defiance).  This is also directly related to the next step. 
5. ‘Keep it between the ditches’:  I keep my weight between 155 and 165 and if I notice that my weight starts creeping towards 165, then I’m required to make some adjustment to my diet.  Most of the time that means I have to forgo or reduce my consumption of sweet potatoes, almonds or cheese.  Additionally, this rule requires that I go to bed somewhat ‘hungry’ (I usually only eat between 5 and 10 pm).  My friend used this method to lose over 60 pounds.  He created a 10 pound window that he monitored daily, made adjustments according to what he weighed and shifted the window to the left by two pound every week. Example: week 1 window 260 to 250, week 2 window 258 to 248 etc…  This technique has been the most effective method I have found for maintaining my weight.  It seems tedious, but the few times I have been in the position in which I couldn't daily weigh myself, my weight always increases by at least 5 pounds.  Although it’s quite embarrassing for my wife, I don’t travel anywhere without my scales.  And yes, I do derive some pleasure from causing her undue embarrassment.
6.  Designate ‘poison days’ to ensure that your system can still survive on processed food, but more importantly so I can have my wife’s carrot cake at least a few times a year. 
7.  ‘Poison days’ require a 48 hour fast prior to consumption.  Like I said, simple, but not necessarily easy.  Easy is for suckers.
8.  Treat the rules as ‘holy’.  Frankly, I’m convinced I will go to hell if I violate my rules. 

 Will this work for you, I have no idea, but it has worked for me.  I have less body fat now than when I graduated high school in 1980, back when Lincoln and Davis were still debating and Jimmy C. was giving away the canal.

6 comments:

makutdaf said...

WOD for today
Clean ladder of singles from 95lbs to 230
8 x 200 meter run sprints
Weight: 163.5
Slept: 7 hours
Wrote: 5 hours
Read: 5 hours
Fasted: 19 hours
Cold Shower

theundisciplinedsavage said...

MP - Made it safe and started my practice enroute.
Today is Day 1 for the workout's, but Day 3 for everything else. I will update later with my workout.
Day 1-2:
Read: Finished 'Man's Search For Meaning'. Started 'Zen in the Art of Archery'.
Writing: 2 Days, 2 Letters.

theundisciplinedsavage said...

AM WOD:
BBG

7X1 Power Clean + Push Jerk @ 80%
@ 205 -- felt easy, mis-read original post, should have been doing full cleans.

Strength/Skill

1a) 4X5 Strict Ring Dips – with a­ 5 sec pause at top of every dip, rest 90 sec.
Done at 20lbs, extra difficulty was one ring kept sliding down.
1b) Back Squat: 4X5@75% quick up and down with no pause every set, rest 90 sec.
Done at 185 - Hamstring was tight.

Splitting workouts AM/PM to see if it has any effect on T levels.

makutdaf said...

Savage, glad to hear you made it safely, I feel much more secure knowing that your out there on freedoms frontier:) Looking forward to your post. I'm going to Bragg today to corrupt some CPT's, I'll report back on my endeavors. BTW I'm sending you a Company Employee guidebook that I think will find interesting.

theundisciplinedsavage said...

PM WOD
20 min AMRAP
20 KBS @ 54
10 Push Press Left
10 Push Press Right @ 54
Row 500m

3 complete + 40

Read: 0
Writing: Letter
Chinese: 0

theundisciplinedsavage said...

PM WOD
20 min AMRAP
20 KBS @ 54
10 Push Press Left
10 Push Press Right @ 54
Row 500m

3 complete + 40

Read: 0
Writing: Letter
Chinese: 0