Friday, January 24, 2014

Epictetus Role Theory

24 Jan 2014
People are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of them.


Today I had the opportunity to spend some time with some young Special Operations CPTs and discuss Epictetus Role Theory.  I recently read a book by Brian Johnson entitled Epictetus Role Theory and I found Mr. Johnson's ideas about Epictetus and Roles to be very thought provoking.  So I took the opportunity to speak with these CPTs about Mr. Johnson's ideas and was surprised by both how his ideas resonated with the audience and at the same time quite humbled to realize how little I have reflected on the roles I play in my life.  I will have a follow up post this with more details about the class and Mr. Johnson's theory.

WOD
5 Rounds
500 meter row
20 KB Swings with 70lb KB
10 1/2 burpees
18:40

Weight: 162.4
Fasted: I'm at the halfway point of a 48 hour fast.

Read: 5 hours
Wrote: 5 hours
Cold Shower
French: 30 minutes

2 comments:

theundisciplinedsavage said...

Thanks for the handbook - I'll break it open tonight and start reading.

To ask if you had a PowerPoint overview of your presentation to the CPT's is a bit like asking a fat kid if he saved any cake... definitely not! But are you going to provide the cliff notes or is this another book to add to the list?

AM WOD
7x1 Snatch - No real warm up so started at 115 and went to 135.
3x3 Front Squat - 185

This week is supposed to be a de-load.

theundisciplinedsavage said...

PM WOD -
Run 5k - Treadmill, Hill Pattern, Level 12, Speed 7.5. (Grade 3%-9.2%)