Sunday, July 6, 2008

Coal Miner's Daughter



This countertop material, Paperstone http://www.paperstoneproducts.com/- made from recycled paper and resin, is extremely difficult to cut. It was delivered to my house via 18-wheeler in one solid sheet measuring 12'x5'. The instructions said it can be cut using woodworking tools so I thought I would give it a try. I think I should clarify a few things for anyone that attempts to cut this stuff - it is NOT like cutting wood. You will need powerful woodworking tools to cut it. Don't expect to pick up a Ryobi anything from HD and have it last long enough to finish the job. My tools were definitely being pushed to perform and my blades dulled quickly. The actual cutting was an extremely slow process taking the entire day with lots of rest breaks for my hands. Secondly, this stuff makes a huge mess. A week later, I am still dusting the fine black powder from the kitchen and I have yet to muster up the motivation to tackle the mess in the shop. And by the time I was finished, I was covered with this stuff - Michael now refers to me as the Coal Miner's Daughter and Sandra said she liked my mustache!

No comments: