Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Another Use for Michael's Weights


Today I routed the edges of the countertop, sanded both the top and the edges, and applied the sealer/finish. The edges had to be sanded by hand and it ruined my hands. This stuff is extremely hard (yes, I know I mentioned it before but thought it should be reiterated) and is not like working with wood. Sanding a wood edge would be a breeze - this was not. It took HOURS to sand the edges but the end result is really nice - they are as smooth as glass. I still have to build up the edges (to make the 3/4" thickness appear to be 1-1/2 inch) but will have to wait until my hands recover. The instructions said to attach the countertop to the cabinet using mechanical fasteners, such as wood screws, and silicone. Well, the wood screws didn't work out so well. I only tried one. This stuff is so hard that drilling the pilot hole was almost impossible and when I tried to insert a screw, the head twisted right off. We decided to use silicone only and use these weights and a few clamps to hold it down until the silicone dried. I'd like to see someone get screws in this stuff.

No comments: