Friday, June 6, 2008

The Work is Just Beginning


The flooring for the new kitchen has been quite a task...and I haven't even begun to install it. Our entire house has plank heartpine floors. I wanted to continue this into the kitchen addition (so it wouldn't look like an addition) with a few changes. I pulled up the kitchen flooring to take care of two issues: 1) The original flooring was put down with large gaps between each plank - and no, I really don't believe the flooring shrank THAT much. This is a concern in the kitchen because of food and such getting into the flooring gaps. 2) I couldn't find an exact match on the flooring so I need to mix up the new flooring with the old flooring and it won't be as obvious. I found a local company that salvages old pine and mills it into flooring. They were able to match (somewhat) my current flooring - even the differing widths (5", 9", 11"). Of course it wasn't that simple. When I got ready to lay the flooring, I realized the tongue and grooves didn't match up - the old flooring was centered and the new flooring had the grooves slightly offset. After a week of trying to decide what to do, I finally called the company that milled the flooring for advice. Their advice, "bring it back in and we'll mill it to match". Well isn't that just too simple. In the end, the old flooring AND the new flooring was milled so now it is a perfect match --and I don't have to clean out all of the crap that had fallen into the flooring grooves over the years --and they even planed the old flooring so I won't have to sand off all the old finish! This picture was taken during my break (did I mention that it is 100 degrees?) from unloading the flooring --the rest is in the kitchen. Now we just have to wait 4-5 days for the wood to acclimate before installing. And yes, that is the felled willow tree in the background still on the ground. Hey, Michael will be gone for a week or two --and did I mention it is 100 degrees?

No comments: