Sunday, January 12, 2014

Living Dangerously


"Living Dangerously"  Friedrich Nietzsche
12 Jan 2014

I've had several request to re-start the blog by a number of people.  The blog will serve as a vehicle for people to improve their self-discipline.  I'm currently enrolled in a Doctorate of Executive Leadership and the focus of my research is developing techniques and practices for developing both individual and organizational self-discipline.  The premise being that person's and organizations with high levels of self-discipline will live a much more engaging and fruitful life.  One of the most effective techniques for improving self-discipline is to simply track several areas of your life, such as, matters that deal with health and wellness.  Over the course of the next few weeks I will start providing the readers of the blog with several ideas of how I have used self-discipline to improve multiple areas within my life.  At a minimum I will provide my workout program and my peculiar dieting practices.
Today: Completed 10 x 500 meter C2 Concept row intervals with a 1:1 work/rest ratio.  I fasted for 20 hours and avoided the use of almond butter and almonds.  For those not familiar with my eating practices, I attempt to keep my weight between 155 and 165 and determine my food restriction based upon how much I weigh each morning.  This morning I weighed 162; anytime I weigh more than 160 I restrict the intake of nuts, cheese and almond butter.  I generally speaking eat meat, vegetables, nuts, and limited amounts of fruit.  My normal pattern of eating is a daily fast of 19 to 21 hours 5 days a week and 48 hour fast that always begins on Thursday night and ends on Saturday night.  Reader should not take this as dietary advice.  This practice is as much about developing my self-discipline and self-control as it is about my health.  I have been practicing intermittent fasting for over 8 years and my practice has evolved over the years. For those interested in intermittent fasting, I recommend a much more conservative approach and in future post I will provide strategies for the practice.  The practice of fasting has taught me many valuable tools for developing habits, but more importantly it has taught me how to rid myself of bad habits.

Feel free to post what you are tracking because going public is a great commitment device.  I stay busy, but will attempt to answer any inquiries as fast as I can.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

"Existence precedes essence" Jean-Paul Sartre

No comments: